Placement Exam Needs

In order to begin the exam, you will need to fill out a short questionnaire about your mathematics background. To complete this form, you will need your Student ID number, which can be found at the top of the letter from the Dean of Studies.

If you have taken an AP Calculus Exam, you will need to be sure that your score is sent to the Union College Registrar's office by the testing service. Even if you have taken an AP exam, you still need to take the placement exam; your score on the AP exam is only one of the factors used by the Mathematics Department to determine the best math class for you.

You will not need to use a calculator on the exam (indeed, one is not permitted). Similarly, you should not use notes, books, or other resources to help you on the exam. You may use scrap paper to perform calculations if you wish. You may not consult with parents, friends, or teachers while taking the exam.

We know that we can not prevent you from breaking these rules; however, you should be aware that it is in your best interests to represent your abilities accurately, as this will make it more likely that you will be placed in the course that is most appropriate for your level of experience. Your score is used only to help select your first math course, and does not become part of your college record in any way. There is no reason to misrepresent yourself; that will just make things harder for you later on.

Please contact if you experience technical difficulties.